Friday, June 13, 2008

Bored to death

I just finished watching Germany vs. Croatia with my dad in front of the computer -.- The first half was really bored. Germany couldnt break their opponent's defense with their super uncoordinated attacks. Croatia played very carefully and kept holding on to the ball, passing back to its own half etc, finding loopholes in the German defence. 1-0 and the first half was over. I didnt catch much of the 2nd half because TVants (the application i use to watch the matches) kind of screwed up a little.

I was talking on msn instead of focusing on the match. Well I was talking to my junior who is currently in MSHSCO. He said he went for TJCCO DSA audition and also going for VJCCO & RJCCO sometime later. I told him not to go RJCCO because the conductor is our secondary school CO conductor who I kinda dislike and think that he sucks. Hahaha. I asked him whether he called up VJCCO. He replied that it was the other way round. I wonder how VJCCO got his contact...

Anyway I hope that he can come VJCCO next year and play the ruan. We seriously need quite alot of new members for the SYF next year.

During the class BBQ on tuesday, Mr Ng, our Chemistry tutor asked some us what we want to be next time. Standing next to me was Jianwei whose reply was "dont know leh". Well, my answer to this question is also a "dont know" and this is not the first time Im running away from the truth. I just couldnt make up my mind or just dont know what to do. There are too many things to do out there. Last time I used to thought that I will know what I want to be next time but as time goes by things remained the same.

Sometimes our family can be quite an influence in the decision we make. My parents aint really supportive of me learning my Chinese instrument, the ruan. I had thought of learning the instrument from a professional a few years ago but it didnt happen. They were afraid that it will affect my studies. Now Im already 16 1/2 and feel like to learn from a professional again. But it was a little too late as most people start from their young. The worry for poor academic result is not the only factor that hindered me that, but also due to financial problems. More than 5 years ago, my father was forced to leave the factory as the boss of the factory had died and no one is taking over it. Moreover, the land that the factory sitting on is going to be taken away by the government. As a result, he lost the steady monthly income he used to have.

His age is also a problem. He is getting old now. Not many people want to hire people above 50s nowadays. He doing some odd jobs now, earning some little wages. I can see that he is trying his best to earn money for the family. Occasionally, he works overtime and reaches home at around 10pm. He then wakes up at 630am the next morning to go for work again. Sometimes I feel really bad for spending too much money. I could have been more disciplined and saved the money up. I had some work experiences before and I know it is not easy to earn money in the outside world.

Im also quite disappointed with my 2nd elder sister as she is staying with us under one roof and using the house resources yet not contributing to our net household income. I can understand that she just started working for only one and a half years and have her own financial problems but I cant see her even trying to help.

Anyway, ruan lessons with professionals are around $50-$100 per 45min or 1 hr depending on the grade you are taking and your teacher. I guess I will take playing ruan as a side interest since I wont be learning it from a teacher. Many of the people I know doesnt know how to appreciate chinese music and it is really sad. The first thing that comes to their mind when you mention Chinese Orchestra is those CNY songs or some ding ding dong dong songs with no depth. CO songs also got FEEL de ok! I felt a little better when I received some positive comments from my friends who came to support the concert. Well, chinese music isnt as boring as you think!